GMAT™ Online Exam Structure
The GMAT™ Online Exam measures the verbal, quantitative, and integrated reasoning skills that are most relevant for graduate business education.
- The Quantitative Reasoning section tests your ability to analyze data and draw conclusions using reasoning skills.
- The Verbal Reasoning section measures your ability to understand and evaluate what you read, as well as your ability to recognize basic conventions of standard written English.
- The Integrated Reasoning section requires you to interpret and analyze information from different sources and in a variety of formats to solve complex reasoning tasks.
The GMAT™ Online exam includes the Quantitative, Verbal and Integrated Reasoning sections (omitting the Analytical Writing Assessment Section). Each section contains the same number of questions and time per section as the current test center-based GMAT exam. The sections are as follows:
- 31 Quantitative Reasoning/ 62 minutes
- 36 Verbal Reasoning/ 65 minutes
- 12 Integrated Reasoning/ 30 minutes
The Section Order for the GMAT™ Online exam is fixed: Quantitative Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning, Integrated Reasoning.
The total exam time is approximately 3 hours -- 2 hours 45 minutes for the exam and 15 minutes to check into the online proctored system. (Note that check-in times may be up to 30 minutes during peak periods.)
You will be allowed one, optional 5-minute break before you begin the Integrated Reasoning section.
Learn more about the GMAT™ Online exam structure with the brief video below:
Scores and Score Sending
The GMAT™ Online exam uses the same scoring algorithm and score scale for the Section Scores and Total Score as the test center-based version. This ensures scores are compatible and comparable across the online and test center-based versions.
- Scores are valid for 5 years
- Official scores will be available in your mba.com account within 7 business days of completing your exam
- Complimentary unlimited score sending
- Scores will not be included in the score reports sent for exams taken at test centers
- Can only be taken once – retakes are not available with the exception of verified technical issues and authorized retakes
Note: Scores for the GMAT™ Online exam will not be included in the score reports sent for exams taken at test centers
Beginning June 11, 2020 you will have the option and flexibility to use both a physical whiteboard and an online whiteboard for your scratch work and/or take notes. Learn more about whiteboard options and requirements.
The GMAT™ Online exam has the same test content and structure (omitting the AWA section) as the GMAT™ exam delivered in test centers, you can feel confident in continuing your online practice with the GMAT™ Official Practice materials, as that preparation is fully relevant to the online, proctored experience. Included in all 6 of our Official Practice Exams is access to the online whiteboard, helping you become familiar with the tool before you test
Availability of the GMAT™ Online Exam
To increase flexibility, appointments have been extended through December 31, 2020, are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and you can schedule an exam appointment up to 24 hours before an available testing slot.
If test centers in your location are open and you feel safe accessing a test center facility, you are encouraged to do so. We are closely following local government directives to ensure the health and safety of our test takers and test center staff. All our test centers that are currently open have enhanced safety, social distancing, and hygiene practices in place.
Disability accommodations – If you are planning to request a disability accommodation for the GMAT™ Online exam, do not schedule your appointment until your accommodation is approved. Please begin by following the process to register as a test taker with disabilities. Accommodations available include 50% and 100% extended time along with an extended break of 10 minutes.
The GMAT™ Online exam is available in all locations, with the exception of: Mainland China, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, and Sudan due to regulatory and local data privacy rules. Please note that currently, proctoring support for the GMAT™ Online exam is only offered in English.