Learn About the GMAT™ Online Exam
The GMAT™ online exam is a remote proctored version of the test center-based GMAT™ exam designed to help you meet your application goals – from the comfort of your home. You have the option to take the GMAT™ exam online or at a test center – or both – the choice is yours!
Appointments are available around the clock and testing dates are available 6-months out on a rolling basis. The GMAT™ online exam can be taken on a Windows or Mac computer, and features:
- 4 full exam sections: Quantitative, Verbal, Integrated Reasoning, and the Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) section
- Same time, scoring, and number of items as the test center-based exam
- Flexibility to use a physical or an online whiteboard for scratch work
- Disability accommodations
- Accepted by over 7,000 global business programs
- Scores valid for 5 years
- 5 free score reports*
*Your 5 free score reports must be used within 48 hours of receiving your official score
Bring out your best where you test. You might feel more at ease at home with the online exam or prefer the structure of a test center. Both options will always be available to help you meet your application deadlines. The choice is yours. Today and every day.
Which Delivery is Right For You?
Compare the test center based GMAT™ exam with the GMAT™ online exam to discover which GMAT™ exam delivery is right for you. Download this chart to see a side-by-side comparison.
If you are planning to request disability accommodations for the GMAT™ online exam, do not schedule your appointment until your accommodation is approved. Please begin by following the process to register as a test taker with disabilities. Accommodations available include 50% and 100% extended time along with an extended 16-minute break.
Before the Exam
- Test – Run a system test before registering to ensure your computer is ready for test day.
- Practice – get familiar with the online whiteboard tool.
- Review – Policies and procedures and ID requirements.
During the Exam
- Login at least 15 minutes before your exam time for check-in.
- Remove mobile phones, headphones, watches, notes, scratch paper, and any other objects or electronic devices from your work area.
- Touchscreens, graphics tablets, and use of a stylus is not permitted.
After the Exam
- Official scores will be posted in your mba.com account within 7 business days of completing your exam and will not be included in test center-based score reporting. You will also be able to view your unofficial score on screen immediately after your exam.
- 5 free score reports (must be used within 48 hours upon receipt of your official score).
- Score is valid for 5 years.
- Retakes are available. †
- Online exam counts towards 12-month and lifetime limits. The GMAT™ exam testing limits are 5 attempts in a 12-month period and 8 attempts in a lifetime.
†verifiable technical issues will not count toward your retake limit, however, if you experience multiple technical issues, we may advise you to test at a test center.
The GMAT™ online exam is available in all locations, with the exception of: Mainland China, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, and Sudan due to regulatory and local data privacy rules. Please note that currently, proctoring support for the GMAT™ online exam is only offered in English.