Present Acceptable and Valid Identification at the Test Center or Online
- In addition to the information below, some ID requirements also vary by location. Be sure to review this entire page AND check the requirements for your location here.
- On exam day, if you are taking the exam at a test center, and you do not have an appropriate ID with you, you will forfeit your exam fee, and you will need to pay the full fee again to reschedule. There are no exceptions.
- On exam day, if you are taking the exam online, you MUST have previously uploaded an appropriate ID during registration AND have the exact same ID with you for the online proctor to verify. If you do not, you will forfeit your exam fee, and you will need to pay the full fee again to reschedule. There are no exceptions. IMPORTANT: Your ID must be uploaded at least 48 hours prior to your scheduled exam.
What are the acceptable forms of ID?
- International travel passport
- A passport is always required when taking the exam at a location outside of your country of citizenship.
- Expired passports are not acceptable and renewal papers do not make an expired passport valid.
- In some locations, additional forms of ID (other than a passport) may be acceptable. Be sure to check the requirements for your location here.
Your ID must be current (not expired*), legible and include:
- Your name using the Roman alphabet, shown exactly as you provided when you registered, including the order and placement of your names
- Date of birth that matches exactly the date provided when you registered
- A recent, recognizable photograph
- Your signature
If you are taking the exam at a test center (not online) and you are unable to provide one form of ID that includes all four of the above elements, you will be required to present a second ID that is acceptable for your location that includes the missing elements.
Examples of Unacceptable Forms of Identification
The following forms of identification will not be accepted at your test center:
- Expired identification*
- Passport cards
- Social security cards
- Draft classification cards
- Credit cards
- Employee or student IDs
- Letters from your university or college
- IDs with physical descriptions in place of photos
- Photocopies of any form of ID
- Any other kind of ID that does not meet the requirements described above
If you have questions about ID requirements, contact GMAT Customer Service.
*We know under the current COVID-19 pandemic, access to some services has been interrupted. As a result, acceptable IDs with an expiration date between January 01, 2020 and the date of the exam will be accepted.