GMAT™ Online Exam Structure
The GMAT™ online exam measures the verbal, quantitative, integrated reasoning, and critical thinking skills that are most relevant for graduate business education.
Integrated Reasoning—measures your ability to analyze data and evaluate information presented in multiple formats
Quantitative Reasoning—measures your ability to analyze data and draw conclusions using reasoning skills
Verbal Reasoning—measures your ability to read and understand written material, to evaluate arguments and to correct written material to conform to standard written English
Analytical Writing Assessment—measures your ability to think critically and to communicate your ideas (Beginning May 20, 2021)
The GMAT™ online exam includes the Quantitative, Verbal, Integrated Reasoning and beginning May 20, 2021 the Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) section. Each section contains the same number of questions and time per section as the current test center-based GMAT exam.
The sections are as follows:
- 31 Quantitative Reasoning/ 62 minutes
- 36 Verbal Reasoning/ 65 minutes
- 12 Integrated Reasoning/ 30 minutes
- 1 Analytical Writing Assessment/ 30 minutes (Beginning May 20, 2021)
The Section Order for the GMAT™ online exam:
- Exams before May 20, 2021: Section Order is fixed Quantitative Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning, Integrated Reasoning.
- Exams on or after May 20, 2021: You will have the flexibility to choose from three options for your exam's section order:
Analytical Writing Assessment, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative, Verbal
Verbal, Quantitative, Integrated Reasoning, Analytical Writing Assessment
Quantitative, Verbal, Integrated Reasoning, Analytical Writing Assessment
This choice simply gives you more control and flexibility to take the GMAT exam based on your strengths and testing preferences. Read more about selecting your exam’s section order.
Total Exam Time
Before May 20, 2021 – The total exam time is approximately 2 hours 40 minutes and you will be allowed one, plus one optional 5-minute break before you begin the Integrated Reasoning section.
On and after May 20, 2021 – The total exam time is approximately 3 hours and 7 minutes, plus two optional 8-minute breaks.
Online check in – Please allow 15 minutes to check into the online proctored system. (Note that check-in times may be up to 30 minutes during peak periods.)
Scores and Score Sending
The GMAT™ online exam uses the same scoring algorithm and score scale for the Section Scores and Total Score as the test center-based version. This ensures scores are compatible and comparable across the online and test center-based versions.
- Official scores will be available in your mba.com account within 7 business days of completing your exam
- Beginning May 20, 2021 your unofficial score will be presented to you on screen immediately after completing your exam and official score available within your mba.com account within 7 business days.
- Choice and control over which Online exam appointment scores you want to send to Schools
- Complimentary unlimited score sending
- Scores are not included in the score reports sent for exams taken at test centers
- Scores are valid for 5 years
Candidates may take the GMAT™ online exam up to two times.
Note: Scores for the GMAT™ online exam are not included in the score reports sent for exams taken at test centers