School Expert Q&A: Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta (IIMC)
IIM Calcutta's MBAEx (Master of Business Administration for Executives) programme, formerly known as PGPEX, gives mid-career professionals an ideal platform to augment their existing skill sets as they endeavor to arm themselves to face challenging roles in the industry.
MBAEx has witnessed encouraging season of placements for its twelfth batch (2018-19) with a top salary of INR 124.90 lacs and average salary of Rs.27.18 lakh with a rise of 39.94% and 11.16% respectively. The median CTC stands at INR 23.00 Lakh with an increment rise of 14.03%. The hard work of the students, faculty and the institute has resulted in a wonderful outcome for our MBAEx graduates.
1. About the Program?
- Name of the school? Indian Institute of Management Calcutta
- School location? Kolkata, West Bengal, India
- Year school started? 1961
- Any global ranking? 42nd in the FT Global MBA Ranking 2020
- Name of the program? MBA for Executives Programme
2. Admission Criteria?
- GMAT score: A valid GMAT score (taken within last 36 months of application)
- Work Experience requirement: Minimum 5 years of post-qualification
- English Proficiency requirement: Proficient in English
- Letters of recommendations: Recommendations from two referees holding senior managerial positions
- Interview/Group Discussion: Personal Interviews
- Others: Minimum 10+2+3 years of formal education or equivalent in any discipline
3. What is the Application Process?
- How does one apply for the programme? Online/ Hard copy
- What is the Application fee? INR 2000/-( non refundable) for Indian nationals and USD 100/- for NRI / Foreign Nationals/ Applications sent from outside India
- Where do I get a copy of the Application form? From our website: https://www.iimcal.ac.in/programs/pgpex/download-centre
- When does the application process start? Tentatively in June every year
- What is the last date to apply? For the 2020-21 batch application timeline was: First round September 15 2019, Second round November 15, 2019
4. What is the Admission Process?
- What is the range of GMAT scores for accepted students? Varies every year but the median score for 2019-20 was 690.
- Is there a requirement of 16 years of study prior to applying? Minimum 10+2+3 years of formal education or equivalent in any discipline
- What constitutes work experience? Minimum 5 years of post-qualification managerial/professional experience
- Who should letters of recommendation come from? Recommendations from two referees holding senior managerial positions
- When should I expect an invitation for an interview? For the 2020-21 batch interviews were conducted on: First round- 19th & 20th October, 2019, Second round- 21st & 22nd December, 2019.
- Who should I contact if I have a question regarding my application status? MBAEx Office, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
5. Fees & other expenses?
- What is the estimated cost for the entire program for a foreign student? Indian Rupees 27,00,000/-(non-refundable) payable in four installments
- What is the cost of living for the duration of the programme? Programme fee includes accommodation costs.
- Are there other costs to be taken into consideration? If yes what? Students will have to bear the expenses for food, personal travel, electricity, cable TV, other utility and misc. expenses and any other expenses of personal nature during their stay in the campus or during their immersion abroad.
- Are there any job opportunities on campus that can be pursued while the programme is on, to lower the overall cost impact? While it is difficult for the student to pursue a job due to the rigours of the programme, the spouses residing on campus with the students might find jobs within campus such as sometimes part-time teaching assistantship, research assistants etc.
6. What is the financial support option available to students?
- What are the options of availing a loan? Educational loans for the MBAEx programme are available from leading nationalized and commercial banks. Loans are also provided by the State Bank of India branch located at IIM Calcutta campus itself. For further details please contact:
- The Manager, State Bank of India, IIM Joka Branch (IIM Calcutta, Joka), Diamond Harbour Road, Telephone: (033) 2453 1060, Kolkata 700 104, Fax: (033) 2467 2357
- What is the amount of loan that a student is eligible for and what are the documents required? Though the amount of loan eligibility varies between banks and are subject to individual applicants credit and financial background, it is possible to get full amount of programme fees as loan
- At what rate of interest is the loan available? What is the date from which loan repayment begins? What is the maximum period in which a loan is to be repaid? Interest rates are as governed by individual banks &RBI but generally its around 7.95 % for the current year. Maximum period allowed is 12 years. Again, whichever bank you choose would share their document checklist & rate, tenure details as well.
- Does the Institute/School help in getting loan? Institute is helpful in providing you documents, information etc with regard to availing loans. Also, if students avail loan from SBI on campus, the loan application process becomes very seamless
7. Curriculum/Faculty/Student Exchange/Hostel accommodation facilities of the school?
- How many intakes in a year and when? Only one intake
- Size of the intake? Approximately 70
- What is the % of foreign students in an average class/intake? NA
- What are the specializations available? Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Economics, Operations, MIS, Behavioural Sciences, Public Policy and Management
- What % of the batch finds jobs within 3 months of graduation? 100%
- What is the mean starting salary of a class after graduation? Average salary of Rs. 27.18 lakh INR (2018-19)
- What are the key sectors represented in recruiters for this programme? IT and IT consulting, E-commerce, Analytics, KPO, Power, BPO and Real Estate