Presenting Proper Identification
To take the GMAT exam, you must bring acceptable and valid identification (ID). Watch this video to ensure a smooth test-taking experience.
Acceptable forms of ID:
- International Travel Passport*
- Government-issued driver’s license
- Government-issued national/state/province identity card (including European ID card)
- Military ID card
*Note: A passport is always required when testing outside of one’s country of citizenship. There are no exceptions, even if you hold a government-issued ID from the country in which you live. In some cases (see Special Restrictions), a passport is the only acceptable ID, even if you are testing within your country of citizenship.
**Renewal papers do not make an expired International Travel Passport Valid.
The ID must be current (not expired), legible and include:
- Your name using the Roman alphabet exactly as you provided when you made your test appointment, including the order and placement of the names
- Date of birth that matches exactly the date provided when you made your test appointment
- A recent, recognizable photograph
- Your signature and date of birth
Unacceptable forms of ID:
- Expired passports or driver’s licenses
- Passport cards
- Social security cards
- Draft classification cards
- Credit cards
- Employee or student IDs
- Letters from your university or college
- IDs with physical descriptions in place of photos
- Photocopies of any form of ID
- Any other kind of ID that does not meet the requirements described above
- If you cannot provide one form of ID that includes all four of the above elements, you will be required to present a second ID from the list that includes the missing element(s).
- If you do not present appropriate ID, you will not be admitted to the test center, and you will forfeit your entire test fee.
- Admittance to the test center does not imply that the identification you presented was valid. If it is determined that your ID was fraudulent or otherwise invalid, your test scores will be canceled and your test fee will be forfeited. Notification will be sent to any institutions that received your scores.
- If you have questions about ID requirements, you must contact GMAT Customer Service BEFORE you schedule your test appointment.
View Country Specific Regulations for special restrictions.