School Expert Q&A: NYU Stern School of Business
Learn more about the program and applying to NYU Stern.
Isser Gallogly is the assistant dean of MBA Admissions at the NYU Stern School of Business. Now entering his 12th year with Stern, he is responsible for Full-time and Part-time MBA Admissions.
About the Program
- Name of the school: NYU Stern School of Business
- School location: 44 West 4th Street, New York, NY
- Contact us: Email at email@example.com
We seek students with strong intellectual ability, superior interpersonal skills and a desire to create value for business and society. We evaluate each candidate holistically across three dimensions: academic profile, professional achievements & aspirations and personal characteristics.
- GMAT® score: The average GMAT for our Fall 2014 class was 721 and the 80% range is 680-76.
- Work experience requirement: On average, Stern students have around five years of work experience, and most have between one and 10 years of post-undergraduate work experience. The current work experience range is 0-17 years in our MBA program.
- English proficiency requirement: For applicants from countries where English is not the primary spoken language, but is the primary language used in education, such as India and Singapore, the TOEFL is not required.
- Letters of recommendations: Two recommendations are required with your application. Professional recommendations are strongly preferred over academic recommendations. One recommendation must come from your current supervisor. If a recommendation from your current supervisor cannot be included, you must provide an explanation in the optional essay.
- Interview/group discussion: Our interviews are one-on-one for about 30 minutes. They are by invitation only and the majority of our interviews are conducted on campus in New York City.Interviews are almost always conducted by our trained admissions professionals, who are experts in evaluation and selection. In addition, our interviews are not “blind.” Your interviewer will have thoroughly read your entire application and will be intimately familiar with your background and goals. If you are concerned about your ability to interview on campus, please know that each year we conduct off-site interviews around the world, typically in London, India and China. If you are interested in an off-site interview, please apply by the 11/15 deadline for priority consideration.
- How does one apply for the programme? To apply, all applicants must submit the following components:
- Personal Information Part I and II
- Standardized Test Information (GMAT/GRE/TOEFL)
- Work History Form
- International Student Supplement
- Two Recommendations
- Self-reported or scanned transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Non-refundable application fee
- What is the application fee? $250 USD.
- What are the application deadlines?
Initial Notification* By
October 15, 2014
December 15, 2014
November 15, 2014
February 15, 2015
January 15, 2015
April 1, 2015
March 15, 2015
June 1, 2015
*You will receive one of three initial notifications: invitation to interview, waitlist offer or denial of admission.
If you are applying to a dual degree program, please review the deadlines at www.stern.nyu.edu/ admissions/fulltime.
- Who should letters of recommendation come from? Two recommendations are required with your application. Professional recommendations are strongly preferred over academic recommendations. One recommendation must come from your current supervisor. If a recommendation from your current supervisor cannot be included, you must provide an explanation in the optional essay.
- When should I expect an invitation for an interview? Approximately 60 days from the application deadline.
- Who should I contact if I have a question regarding my application status? Admissions Help Desk, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is the estimated cost for the entire program for a foreign student? For 2014-2015 academic year, the estimated cost of attendance for one year is $101,938 which includes tuition and living expenses.
- What is the cost of living for the duration of the programme? Mess & hostel fee is included in fee structure above.
- Are there other costs to be taken into consideration? If yes what? No.
- Are there any job opportunities on campus that can be pursued while the programme is on, to lower the overall cost impact? You can receive up to $21,600 in tuition remission during your MBA program by working as a Graduate Fellow in one of the many positions available through Stern departments. These positions offer students an opportunity to contribute to the School and to their classmates' experience. Hundreds Graduate Fellow positions are filled by Stern MBA students each year. Students must have completed at least 9 credits at Stern and be in good academic standing (GPA at least 3.0) to be eligible for a Graduate Fellowship.
- What are the scholarship options available for the students? Approximately 30-40% of admitted Full-time MBA students are awarded a merit-based scholarship. Awards range from partial tuition to full tuition and mandatory fees. All applicants (domestic and international) are considered for merit-based scholarships. No additional materials are required to be considered. Scholarship decisions are made at the time of admission and are included in your official mailed admission letter. All scholarship decisions are final.
- What are the criteria for determining scholarship applications? Merit.
- What are the options of availing a loan? Educational loan from banks.
Curriculum/Faculty/Student Exchange/Hostel Accommodations
- How many intakes in a year and when? We have one intake. Students begin the program in August.
- Size of the intake? Our typical class size is around 400 students
- What is the % of foreign students in an average class/intake? 38% of our incoming students are international or dual citizens.
- What are the specializations available? All Stern students graduate with an MBA in General Management and can select 0-3 specializations from over 20 options. We offer one of the largest selections of elective courses among top business schools.
- What % of the batch finds jobs within 3 months of graduation? In 2013, Ninety-six percent of the class of 2013 had full-time employment three months after graduation
- What is the mean starting salary of a class after graduation? $107,450