Tips on Requesting Recommendations
Letters of recommendation help graduate business schools develop a consistent overall impression of you.
When choosing people to ask for letters of recommendation, keep these tips in mind:
- Make sure that you follow school specific directions on who your recommenders should be and how many they want to receive.
- Ask several people for a letter of recommendation, as you’ll never know who will say yes (or have the time to write a letter).
- Only choose people who know you well and can speak knowledgeably about your relevant skills and accomplishments.
- Do not ask people with important job titles who do not know you or your work.
- Provide recommenders what an updated resume to assist in highlighting your accomplishments.
- Be clear about your deadlines and follow up with reminders.
Ask letter writers to:
- Explain why you will excel in your graduate business program and in your post-degree career.
- Confirm or elaborate on your skills, credentials, accomplishments, strengths, and aspirations.